Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Trusses for my 28 x 60 garage


Well after many nights reading the New York State code requirements, tons of calcuations, and numerous discussions with my architect, I have come to the realization that I cannot cut my own wood for the roof. Being in the Tug Hill region means that my roof must support 70lbs per sq foot of snow! I would have to cut monsterous rafters, or put in supporting posts all over the place. So... I made the call to the truss engineers and ordered 44 scissor trusses. This will give 12+ foot high ceilings in the middle of the shop and no center supporting beams. Is the garage excessive, yes, but it will also serve as my apartment as I build the main house. The bedroom will make a nice wood shop or spray booth down the road. I wonder if anyone else has 240v outlets in the bedroom :)